Saturday, August 27, 2011

Wattle Farm RC boats.

Today I was invited by Rob to  race against him in some one-metre RC yachts.

The lake at Wattle Farm is perfect for this stuff, when finance permits I'll probably buy a boat to use there.

Conditions were trying for the little boats, and getting the setup right before sailing was crucial, allowing the boats to feather upwind. In the conditions, balance seemed to be the biggest factor in determining how well the boats went.

I had huge trouble working out distances to marks, laylines etc, but it's still some great fun, and beats watching DVDs hands down. Its also suprisingly good exercise in that breeze, running along the bank to the best vantage points for mark roundings and the like - those little things go quite fast when its windy!

Lots of lessons learned by me, wonder if I can apply them to big boats?

No comments:

Post a Comment